Wednesday, October 12, 2005

"Hi Kim"

Another day, another painfully boring 9 hours at work...

I thought that it would be funny to document how many times I am called "Kim" today, (my name's not Kim!)

Thing is, I've been on edge all morning because Allen, who calls me Kim, seems to have lots of guests coming in and out of his office today and I don't want him to call me Kim in front of them. That would be awful:

Allen: "Can you do this for me please Kim?"

Me: "Oh yes, of course"

Onlooker who knows I'm not called Kim: "He just called you Kim and that's not your name. Don't you think that's a bit strange? Why don't you tell him that's not your name?"

Me: "Because I'm an idiot who hasn't corrected him for three months, even though it really pisses me off, and now it just seems like its too late. At first I thought he was calling me 'Kid', which annoyed me even more, so when I realised he was saying 'Kim' I just kind of let him get on with it. Now it's gone on for too long and I'm too embarrassed to tell him that's not my actual name"

Onlooker: "You're a bit weird"

So instead, i'm going to keep two counts today. One for how many times I leave my desk to avoid the possibility of him calling me 'Kim' with someone overhearing. And one for how many times he actually manages to call me Kim - these will only count if I acknowledge him, as if to enforce the fact that Kim is my name.

I'll keep the count on a postage note and will publish them at the end of the day...

**Current count - I have left my desk and 'popped to the toilet' four times already today to avoid being called Kim**

2 Comments:

At 10/12/2005 10:29 am , Blogger roGER said...

Please keep this blog going, errrr, Kim (!)

It's brilliant.

- ER

 
At 10/12/2005 3:37 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ho ho - a familiar story; I was called 'Isobel' (not anything like my name) for three months by someone who mistook me for a temp who was about the same build as me and had a bit similar hair and I never said anything.

Keep up the amusing work!

R.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counter