Friday, November 11, 2005

Urgent Courier

Urgent courier my arse...

It will come as no surprise that I did nothing yesterday. Some more surfing of the internet, but that's about it.

From 8:30am to 5:00pm I did absolutely nothing. So at 5:01pm when I was asked, by the lady that's not my boss but kind of watches over me, if I could arrange an urgent courier I of course enthusiastically obliged. I should, after all, do something to earn my money. She said she would email me the address "in one minute". I sat poised, courier book in one hand, phone in the other... 5:05pm... 5:10pm... 5:15pm... At 5:15pm she walked past my desk in a hurry. I looked at her expectantly.

"Oh" she said "I forgot about the package, I'll do it in two ticks" she promised, and off she galloped.

5:20pm...

5:25 pm...

5:28pm

My phone rings "Actually Amy, we'll send that package tomorrow instead".

What?! Evil, evil woman. She didn't want me to arrange a courier, she never had done. She just wanted to keep me here until 5:30pm.

I do realise that I am contractually obliged to work until 5:30pm, but when I've been sitting doing nothing for the 7 and a half hours prior to 5pm, the thought of that last half hour is often too much to stomach. As there is never anyone here, and never anything to do, I do not understand why I have to be here past 5pm.

Which I suppose brings me neatly back to my original burning question - why do they have anyone here to do my 'job' at all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counter