Thursday, February 07, 2008

Employment Agencies

Employment agencies are like the angel and the devil combined. They are like a dog with a bone when they get your details.

I woke up early today and emailed my CV to a number of agencies and already my mobile has turned into the Bat Phone. It's good, I know its good, because every call is a step closer to getting a new job... But it's the sell, sell, sell nature of the calls which makes me feel slightly uneasy. I guess that's what they are after all - Sales people. Unfortunately I just want to be gently eased into a nice new job, being sold one feels a little overly aggressive to me.

Anyway, the good news is that they like my CV. The bad news, if there is some, is that I am going to have to go and buy a suit because it looks like I am going to have quite a few interviews to go to!

I wish that the jobs were for a journalist / novelist / earth mother because then I might actually have some natural enthusiasm. As they are actually going to be for a well paid but corporate monkey I am going to have to work a bit on my attitude before I go to the interviews.

5 Comments:

At 2/23/2008 10:38 pm , Blogger roGER said...

Best of luck to you, Amy.

Perhaps you might consider a job in a smaller (much smaller) company?

Large companies tend to be very 'corporate' and reward a particular type of non-individual. Smaller outfits tend to be less formal, HR (Human Remains) tend to be more restrained, and the work is often more varied.

Free advice worth every penny...

On a positive note, it's so good you are blogging again and you have a real talent for it. Perhaps a look at some on-line magazines and an e-mail to an editor or two might be worthwhile???

Whatever happens - please keep writing.

 
At 3/11/2008 7:42 am , Blogger Unknown said...

Good recruiters can help employers avoid making costly mistakes. They know their clients and their corporate culture intimately, which means they can identify the right person/people. Quality recruiters have access to in-depth market understanding which means they can help a client develop retention programs to keep their valuable human assets. Consider this: Recruitment firms only have access to a small percentage of
the available jobs out there. In fact, many are not advertised or are ‘hidden’. It is estimated that up to 80% of jobs are hidden as only 10% of positions ever make their way into the hands of
recruitment companies.

 
At 3/13/2008 10:17 pm , Blogger Amy Knight said...

Nice ad.

 
At 4/10/2012 2:35 am , Anonymous Joko Susilo said...

If i'm Bored at work…

I like to browse in various places on the web, regularly I will go to Digg and read and check stuff out…

 
At 5/02/2012 4:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this ENTIRE blog.. It was such an emotional trip... Its sad that it had to end so abrubtly...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counter