Thursday, November 03, 2005

Kim goes public

It is so lucky I am able to laugh at myself...

Jenny (one of the PA's) was just standing at my desk booking some meetings when Allen came back in from his lunch.

"Hi Jay" he said to Jenny

"Hi Ki..." he said to me. I could sense he was going to call me Kim so I looked away and he trailed off without finishing my 'name'.

"I get called Jay" said Jenny frowning "what do you get called?" she asked

Sod it, I thought, I'll be honest "Kim" I said bluntly

"Kim?" she checked

"Yeah" I said "he always calls me Kim"

She laughed out loud and off she went.

Less than a minute later - literally less than one minute later, Tania (another PA) came up to my desk...

"Does Allen think you're called Kim?" she said, laughing

"Urm, uh huh" I replied, laughing too, because it is kind of funny.

With that she walked away, giggling as she went.

I could hear her laughing and starting to tell another of the PA's. As soon as I realised what she was doing I jumped up and ran around the corner to stop her in her tracks.

"It's a secret", she ended up saying, "Amy gets called a different name by someone in the office, but she's told me not to tell anybody".

Phew, I thought. Maybe I've contained the awful truth.

Then Tania asked me why I hadn't just told Allen that my name wasn't Kim. So I told her exactly why. Because at first I thought that he was calling me Kid which I thought was really patronising and rude. When I realised he was saying Kim it didn't seem so bad. And then it was too late - he's been doing it for four months so I can't tell him now.

Tania started roaring with laughter - then I couldn't help it and I was in fits of giggles too. That real, feel good laughing, when your eyes water and your belly aches. It was actually hilarious! Until I realised that soon everyone would know what an idiot I was... And I could just see someone telling Allen infront of me that my name is not Kim. Then he would ask why I hadn't corrected him and it would just be terrible. It's embarrassing enough as it is!

Tania begged to tell Jenny the whole story "because she is feeling a bit down and it would really cheer her up", but I begged back for her not to. If Jenny knows she will definitely tell Allen's PA and then everyone will know what a fool I am!

Ten minutes later and Tania is still laughing! I could hear her laughing from around the corner which made me laugh even more. Then I had to ask a visitor if she would like a drink (because I felt like I should compensate for being so unprofessional) but I could hardly get the words out! (Luckily she only wanted water...) It's the most I've laughed for ages. It's just a shame everyone was laughing at my expense!

As far as I know only me, Tania and Jenny know that Allen calls me Kim. Hopefully it will stay that way, but somehow I can't see it staying secret for long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counter