Friday, November 18, 2005

Human sardines

This morning was a particularly miserable morning, which really shouldn't have been the case - considering it's a Friday!

Weather wise it was ok, extremely bitter, but the sun was making a concerted effort to make an appearance. As long as you were wrapped up warm and kept moving (which I was, and did) it was actually quite pleasant. My journey however, was when the misery began...

Cancelled train, late train, cancelled train, late train... Cancelled train, late train, cancelled train, late train...

My train finally!!

My train full of people who should have been on the numerous previously cancelled trains...

I managed to squeeze on, just. There was no debate about it - I was getting on that train! I managed to stretch my little finger to one of the yellow poles so I was able to hold on, by the nail, just. I was squashed into the door by a lady with long wayward hair and a ridiculously big bag, but I was luckily able to shallow breathe without injesting too much of her filthy mane... just.

Then, as if the lack of trains and the packed-in-like-sardines condition were the joke, along came the punchline.

We didn't move.

For over ten minutes the train sat at the station platform, passengers squashed inappropriately close together, no room to move, inhaling the sneezes and spluttery coughs carelessly expelled all around us. Doors locked so we couldn't escape. No windows that open. No announcement to tell us why. No indication of when we may expect to begin our journey... I started to get a bit panicky with the thought of the lack of air.

At 8:26 I gave up. I had four minutes to get to work and it's a half hour journey. I resigned myself to the fact that possibly any virus I could catch I would catch, and there was nothing I could do about it. I gazed out the locked door and tried to focus on something else to keep my overactive imagination at bay in an effort to keep calm. I noticed a businessman eating a bagel, sipping his coffee and continuing chewing his original mouthful. I hate that. It makes me feel really sick, just the thought of it... Did the job though, it took my mind off being trapped in a metal tube with hundreds of other people (33% of whom were probably nutters I imagined) all squashed in like sardines.

It was another horrible journey, I just hope it's not going to be a horrible day...

I obviously don't want to temp fate, but it's actually not looking too bad so far!

3 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 12:08 pm , Blogger roGER said...

OK Amy (or should I say "Kim"? hah de hah hah) here's two questions:

1) What time did you make it into work?

and...

2) did anybody notice?

Have a lovely week-end

- roGER

 
At 11/18/2005 12:32 pm , Blogger Amy Knight said...

Hey Roger,

Got here at 9am(ish) and no-one noticed because hardly anyone was here. I could have rolled in at 9:30 and it would have been fine. 10:00 would have been pushing it, but I could probably have got away with it. The doorbell hasn't rung all day, and that's the give away - if i'm not there someone else has to answer it and they resent that...

I kind of knew that i'd be one of he first in, especially as it's Friday, but I still ran from the train station - that's dedication for you if ever you've seen it!
Shouldn't have bothered rushing as there's no-one here and nothing to do (for a change!).

Allen's not here so I can relax today, phew!

Enjoy your weekend too & thanks for the comment, Amy

 
At 11/18/2005 2:17 pm , Blogger roGER said...

Hello Amy,

Thanks for the answers.

It's always the same when you make a special effort (e.g run like hell) - nobody is there to notice or nobody cares...

I look forward to reading your blog next week.

- roGER

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counter